Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Safety

Snowboard is categorized as an action sport. Most action sports are dangerous, more dangerous than most sports involved on fields. Safety for snowboarding isn't considered as high a priority because most people think of snow as a soft fluffy surface. As we live in the North East, all mountains here are the opposite. During the day the top surface becomes softer from the sun, and then completely freezes over all the water that was formed if any. Around here everything is ice and that causes more broken wrists, concussions, ribs and so on. Basic rules in the park such as spot your landing, call your drop, and be aware of any obstacles (other people who shouldn't be in the park) and know your limits. I consider a helmet to be the most useful article of clothing you can wear, it has many times saved me from serious injury and possible my life. For example last year I hit a handrail and caught my edge on the kink and smashed my head against the stairs, it chipped my helmet but I walked away without injury. This year I also learned how to cork, which is an mix between a flip and a spin, I had fallen too many times in a row and decided to try going faster I over rotated, over-shot the landing and landed on my head, I had a concussion, cracked 2 ribs and was out for the rest of the season, about 2 weeks. Without my helmet I'm sure it would have been much worse than it was. I tell everyone that they shouldn't care if they think helmet's look stupid, everybody wears them and it's actually different if you don't wear a helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment